Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gluing the Foam Together

This week, I did not have much time to work on the F22, as I was busy fairing a 4-man surf canoe to be primed and painted in the upcoming weeks. In addition, I also got to play with METC's newest toy, a CNC router! (I'll post pictures soon).

However, I did get to glue the foam pieces together this week with a putty consisting of epoxy, microspheres (easy to fair) and colloidal silica (for thixotropy to cling on the vertical surface).

In the pictures below, you'll notice that the foam extends proud of the keel join line a couple inches in addition to extending past the first form frame at the bow. I am doing this because I want to create an auxiliary flange to support vacuum bagging on the part itself. I really don't know if this is going to work because it depends on several variables: 1) Is the 12mm closed cell foam airtight? 2) Are the putty joints between the foam pieces airtight? 3) Will the foam want to torque after the bag is applied?

I'm going to try to pull a "test bag" on the foam to see if I can get a good seal. I'm looking to get between 12-20 in Hg in pressure.

Anyway, here is the foam bonded together (before fairing).



No comments: